Friday, January 04, 2008

The Del Rey Cafe

We took Daniel here to show him the "big food."

This is a hole-in-the-wall kind of cafe close to the North Umpqua River. They are currently having some difficulty with business, because there's construction on the bridge that goes over the river to the nearest freeway exit & the community college, so the bridge is closed.

These folks rely on that freeway & college traffic, because right now Hwy 99 just dead-ends there. It's not so bad on the college side, since the freeway onramp & offramp are there. But on the Del Rey side, it's a 3 or 4 mile drive from the freeway (and Shari's just opened at that offramp).

In any case, there was a story in our newspaper recently, telling of the woes of the poor Del Rey Cafe. So we decided that Sunday morning to go there to help support them.

#1 - bad idea. All of the town had the same idea, turns out. They were crazy busy. #2 - We found out about the big food. Diana is having a Cinnamon Roll. Daniel is shown with my biscuit. I only ate about 1/3 of it. Then I was full. Diana managed to polish off that whole cinnamon roll, but then she barely ate anything the rest of the day.

It wasn't all that busy when we showed up, which was fine. Seems like they are holding their own - I'm not sure when the bridge will be done, but I'm glad the Del Rey is managing.

We decided to NOT sit under the huge heating fan thing in the corner. It was kind of scary looking.

This was just cute, so I put it in. Connor has Dutch Bros. tattoos on his hands. Diana put them on & he is very happy to have "heart hands."

3 comments:

keeka said...

this isn't the same place we went when we visited you like the first time without kids? We had a cinnamon roll-huge! But it looked nothing like Diana's and it was pretty tasteless. I am guessing it isn't the same place. Let me know.

Tina said...

I think that was Heaven On Earth.

I never thought that much of their cinnamon rolls either. That's between us & Grants Pass right next to the freeway.

I think they've changed ownership since then, but I haven't been back.

Anonymous said...

ok...that sounds awesome....daniel is still cute in my eyes...maybe its because him and trev look EXACTLY alike love nae p.s. i just got yelled at for my hair again!