Sunday, August 31, 2008

My camera is just about dead :(




I really loved this camera. The fact that I could hand it off to my Girl Scouts and let them take as many photos as they wanted over a camping weekend was just fantastic.

I was always pretty frugal with our troop money, seeing as how selling nuts & cookies were a pretty low priority for my girls for most of the GS experience. So obviously, we didn't want to have to pay for processing a bunch of crappy photos taken with a regular camera.

Lee got me this camera for Christmas in 2003. It was one of the first cameras to have 5.0 megapixels (most at that time were 3.0) and with the added memory card, I could have over 300 photos at a time on the card.

Now, however, the camera has gotten a little wonky. It shuts itself off after taking one picture, or it won't stop blinking red at me, even though I just put in new batteries. The dial on the top doesn't want to click into the right setting, either. It's just been plain used up! I think I easily took 10,000 photos with this thing.

I have been very happy with the Kodak EasyShare software and the ease with which you can download & upload the photos. The clarity was great for what I was doing - mostly just snapshots.

I typically have left the main screen off for taking photos, using the 'old-fashioned' viewfinder to save batteries. It's the way I always took photos anyway, so it wasn't a big deal.

I'm find that now, however, people have gotten used to using a screen to take their photos, and the viewfinder is not available on the current Kodak cameras in my price range! Eek!

Oh well. I might have to search for something different - or maybe go with rechargable batteries since I'll be using them up more often? I don't know. In the meantime, Diana's camera works pretty well (altho some of the reunion shots were fuzzier than this camera takes - I think there were too many faces for it to figure out what to focus on?).

Here's a link on the stats for my poor, old camera Kodak DX4530 (tech support no longer available)

1 comment:

keeka said...

At school I take a lot outside and it is easier to look through a view finder. My camera is getting on too and mine is only 4 mp. So I am hoping to get a different one someday soon. But I have the same trouble, I want to find one with a viewfinder!