Sunday, August 12, 2007

Ice Cream Break

We have some great ice cream here. Our local dairy Umpqua Dairy has won the top national honors for two years in a row now. The quality really shows in their ice cream.
When you go to the grocery stores or wherever anyone scoops their ice cream for you, the scoops are HUGE. It's .90 for a single scoop at our grocery store, and dang, it's about a pint of ice cream!

The flavors are great too. My current favorite is Espresso Madness (but I can only eat it in the earlier part of the day - I won't sleep otherwise). Lee likes Mountain Blackberry Revel. Trevor is a Mint Chip guy, and Diana actually goes for anything ranging from Cookie Dough to Strawberry Cheesecake. Connor is strictly vanilla right now - there are three choices though - regular Vanilla, French Vanilla, or Vanilla Bean.

Whenever Carolyn & Carl are coming up or down on their way along the I-5, they will stop and meet us for ice cream, even if they don't have time to really visit for a while. This year we met at our house - by chance, the 1/2 gallons of Umpqua were on sale at $2.88 each, so I got a few to give us a choice. This year we tried Chocolate Peanut Butter (I don't usually like this, but theirs was really good!) and Tin Roof Sundae. Yum!

By the way, all the other dairy products are excellent as well. Butter, Milk, Cottage Cheese, Sour Cream, etc... They don't do tours so much anymore since 9/11, but I think you can still call ahead and get a tour if you really want. They are not a big enough operation to install a tour route through their facility (yet).

1 comment:

keeka said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, Umpqua Ice Cream!! We always go for that!
Thank you Tina for the delicious choices this time around! I think my favorite is still Mountain Blackberry Revel, though Tin Roof Sundae was pretty awesome too. The Espresso Madness was a little too chocolatey for me, I am still a coffee ice cream nut, but just plain coffee. And dare I say? I love Haagen Daas coffee ice cream! Shhhh don't tell anyone! If ever Umpqua has plain coffee then I am sure that will be better, but so far I haven't seen it.