Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Shoulder doing better!

Yesterday while Lee watched Mikael do his Tae Kwon Do class, I visited the Massage guy.  He's not Chinese - he's Korean.  Here's the link to his blog:  http://dahnenergyhealingarts.blogspot.com/

He calls it "energy healing massage therapy" or Hwal-Gong.

Some of it was similar to a regular massage, but it seemed to be more about loosening the joints with a lot of jostling around on the joint areas.  He worked especially hard on my bum shoulder of course, but he also did my fingers, elbows, hips, knees and feet.  There was cracking of toes and fingers!

He was able to loosen up my shoulder so that it doesn't hurt as much now, and I have twice the range of motion as before I went in.  I haven't had to take any Tylenol so far today, although I can feel the shoulder still has healing to do.

He also gave me some exercises to help with the shoulder.  He said that 50's Shoulder happens when you do something, and the muscles get stuck in place.  I have heard somewhere else that muscles are in something like a sheath in various areas of the body, and they can swell and get stuck in the 'sheath' area.  So I take it that's what he's talking about.

I'm supposed to do the stretching exercises & breathe properly while doing them.  I will also go ahead & continue doing what my doctor prescribed, which is just different stretches.  We'll see how it goes thru the week.

We figure we're here till Saturday  :)

2 comments:

keeka said...

Sounds like you had a great experience! I love getting a massage as you know and I received again as a teacher gift $100 for Glen Ivy. Another teacher got the same so we may go together. Fun!
I tend to have a normal massage and I tell them once they have worked a bit and the muscles are warm, they can go a little harder, then my back feels good for much longer! So I hope you can get a lot out of the one session!

Tina said...

This was a 'healing' massage - aka NOT relaxing! Owie owie owie!

But my shoulder feels better now...