Thursday, May 25, 2006

My turn at TOPS

It's my turn tonight to do the program for our TOPS club (Take Off Pounds Sensibly). Since this is a non-profit, the club members sign up for dates to do the program. The only restrictions are they have to be something to motivate or educate in the realm of weight loss, and you can't bring food (without special permission).

So, every time we have a meeting, we start with our Pledge. Then we sing these corny songs that were written long long ago to the tunes of things like "Side By Side" and "Tiny Bubbles." While I can usually find my way thru them, I really don't recognize a lot of these tunes! And I'm 44! We do have members younger than I am, and they don't even remember Tiny Bubbles!

In any case, to help a little with this, I thought I'd write a couple of TOPS songs to music that more people would be familiar with, like "This Land is Your Land," and "Skip to My Lou."

They are incredibly corny, but that's kind of the idea.

So this morning Diana notifies me she's never heard "This Land is Your Land." Either her music teachers weren't doing their job, or that was so 60's, it's no longer politically correct?

:)

6 comments:

- Rob said...

My kids know playground take-offs to "This Land is Your Land" so I *assumed* that they knew the original song. Now I'll have to ask.

Damn assumptions!

Wasn't Jib-Jab's original video set to that song? That would be an interesting way to teach it to them.

Tina said...

er... what's jib-jab? Or is it who? I have no idea.

TV? Music? Seriously, no idea.

Okay, okay - I'll google it...

:P

Rocky said...

Jib-Jab? Wasn't that a rejected character from Star Wars Episode 1?

timmerov said...

it's a gotta see.

http://www.jibjab.com/JokeBox/JokeBox_JJOrig.aspx?movieid=65

keeka said...

Well, I am glad I am as out of the loop as you are dear sistol! I was with Rocky on that one! I think even my kids know the song from some kid cds we have played in the car.

Unknown said...

I looked at a couple of Jib-Jab stuff back when.

I saw it as a sad attempt at political humor.