Friday, December 22, 2006

Connor & Christmas

This is the first year he's really 'into' it. Last year, he noted the changes in decor, but pretty much went about his business doing his usual stuff. We were in Canada for Christmas last year, so he was way more into being at Omi & Opa's house, hanging out with cousins, and being outside & about in Kelowna.

Now he's an 8-year old with language-delay autism, and Christmas is a big thing. He's excited about something he knows is coming, although he might not yet have the language to express why he's excited.

He has been dutifully opening every day on his chocolate advent calendar. This year, he's even eating the chocolate (he used to give them to me). He has seen the gifts collecting under the tree, and he'll say "Don't open it!" We always add on "until Christmas!" in case he has decided they are NEVER to be opened.

He's been especially bubbly and active since we got out of school on vacation. Some of that is just due to being home instead of in school, but I think part of it is excitement. I think he's really looking forward to the holiday, and it's pretty cool.

When we asked him what he wants for Christmas, he said "gifts." Okay, that's not a lot of help. Actually, he really has everything he likes, and it's kind of a trick to find something he'll be excited about. He has a couple of movies he wants, and I got him (of all things) a "Magic Mist" humidifier. There's a store in the mall that sells these - they look like a lamp thing with bubbling mist coming out of the glass bowl. He likes to blow on the mist. I figured what the heck, we have a gas stove heating the room and it's dry - a misting humidifier wouldn't be a bad thing. We'll see what he thinks.

Someone suggested showing him the toy catalog for Wal-Mart or K-Mart, but I think that's too much at once. He doesn't really play so much with the toys he gets. Maybe a little, but he'd rather play x-box, or play on my computer.

The older two suggested a remote control car, but again, I don't know how long that would last as a toy either. He doesn't always play with his toys the way they are intended - I'm going to chalk that one up to Lee, who "recreated" plastic animals - I'm pretty sure the makers didn't intend their toys to be melted & stuck to other animals...

I wish I could have caught Connor in the apex of the jumps, but my camera is a little slow. He gets good air on those mini trams :)

2 comments:

keeka said...

Well, at least I know the gift from us, will get a lot of use, over and over and over. And you will have to let me know his favorite rewind and freeze places! I am always amazed that he can get right to them without looking too hard, we can never find the places the kids want to see again! Hmmmm.....

- Rob said...

Playing with the toys other than how they were intended, such as "recreating" plastic animals, is playtime at its best!