Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Auf Wiedersehen Leonie!


On Sunday, we got up early and drove Leonie to the airport. Lots of the students on both sides (German & US) were tearfully saying their good-byes.

I think most of the kids had a good time visiting Oregon. A lot of them had U of O or OSU hoodies or other Oregon gear on. They had a big group hug, and lots of promises to email, etc.

Diana really liked having a "sister" around. She actually was happy to do more girly things than she usually does - like trying on clothes at the mall.

Leonie made a pretty good dent in Diana's manga collection, but I think she could have spent another couple of weeks just cozy in her bed, reading manga. Any spare moment, that's where she was. Diana was glad to have someone around who appreciated what she likes too.

Just before she left to go through the security check and off to her gate to wait to board, we did a last group hug with Diana, Leonie, Connor & me (Lee was at work and Trevor stayed home). We were all kind of sniffling, and then Connor pipes up with, "I'm Alive!" So we all had to laugh, of course. (that's a quote from Calvin & Hobbes again - the next line would be "I kiss the sweet ground!" after a nasty spill off the Radio Flyer wagon). I'm not sure if it's Calvin & Hobbes hugging each other that prompts Connor to say that, but he's done that before when hugging us.

Anyway - we watched & waved as Leonie got in the security line, and then she was out of sight. Diana & I held Connor's hands as we left the airport and got back to the van. Then we drove back toward I-5, and went in search of Sweet Tomatoes, a salad buffet restaurant we like to visit when we're near Portland.

Then we drove home again.

I just wish I'd remembered the ibuprofen & that heat pad thing I was going to stick onto my back. Ouch.

Leonie emailed already. She is home safe & sound. I think both she & Diana are already looking forward to June, when Diana goes to visit Leonie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LEONI!!!! NOOOO!!!!
i miss her..... sniffle
love nae