Friday, March 10, 2006

Another Link

As mentioned previously, I like to knit.

When I learned to knit in Germany, there was a pretty wide selection of yarns available in the standard shops. Here in the states, if I wanted "fun" yarn, I had to find a yarn catalog & buy without getting to feel the yarn or anything. A lot of them were imported, or just really spendy because they were made by small companies

In the last five years, our bigger yarn companies have expanded their lines to include these fun yarns. Even though these yarns aren't cheap, if you use your 40% off coupons from Joann's & Michael's, you can get away with making stuff pretty reasonably. Even Big Lots carries yarn for 1.00 or 1.99 at times.

With all this new yarn, yarn companies create new "looks" to sell their yarn. Some of these are really ugly. And so, the new link on the right lets you look at some of these "fashions" and poke a little fun. There is language, so be warned. It's also very funny. This one, btw, is entitled "Monkey Arms" on their site.

:)

2 comments:

keeka said...

Ok, yah, I get it, definitely fits the name! UUUUGGLY!
I want to make a soft warm headband for earwarming, but I think if I make the whole thing a band, it will stretch too much so I figure I can just have a tie that is braided yarn. Ya think?

Tina said...

Heh. I'd probably just sew one out of polar fleece - then it doesn't matter.

Altho I did make a scarf that was wider in the middle so I could use it on my head and then around the neck. I'll have to take a picture & show you.

:)