Friday, November 09, 2007

Lebkuchen

This year, I'm responsible for making/getting my own Christmas cookies. In years past, my dad has either brought or shipped a large container of the homemade cookies he made out of his mom's handwritten cookbook. My dad isn't in a place to do that sort of thing this year. He typically would start baking in October, because german Lebkuchen has to actually "ripen" in an airtight container for at least a couple of weeks. It's better if you wait a couple of months. I know it sounds odd, but that's how you do it.


I went online and ordered my Lebkuchen the other day. I did NOT get this:


It's on sale, but I'm afraid $99.00 for cookies is a bit spendy!
I ordered my favorite Lebkuchen though, along with some german chocolates & other treats. I just don't do a good job on Lebkuchen - mine are always undercooked or overcooked, and they never go from the rock-hard right after they're baked to the soft-chewy after they've been in their tins.
I will be making meringue cookies, however. Those go pretty fast. The main ingredients are nuts (almonds, hazelnuts) and meringue! They crush really easy, so I'll wait until a little before Christmas to make those.
I will be making my Stollen (German Christmas bread) pretty soon, because I need to send some to Carolyn. Connie & my folks can get it up in Canada, if my mom doesn't decide to make her own anyway.
Before any of that though, pumpkin pie!

No comments: