Sunday, April 15, 2007

My Sunday Project

When we finished our add-on last year, we had to make sure we had enough drainage around the new room. When it was still a carport, there used to be a puddle of water at the outside corner any time we had any rain.

We have some bigger rock around the cement foundation to help let the water drain correctly. We still need to get a decent load of river rock and dump that all over the driveway, but we haven't gotten that far yet.

We did have some extra wood left over from the add-0n though, so Lee made us a little porch for the front of the room. As you can see from the first photo, it's not even with the walkway. Some neighbors & older folks were having a little trouble navigating the changes in levels.

I thought it would be cool to do a little stepping stone path. It kind of breaks up the front walkway a bit, and I was able to use the stepping stone my dad had made with stained glass. If you click on the picture with Connor, it's the one between his legs.

In any case, that was my project today. I guess it took about 3 hours to do the work. I had to save my bulbs before I accidently covered them up (on the Rubbermaid box). Lee got me a little shovel to dig the trench. I laid a base layer of small rocks & sand, and I got it as level as I could. It's actually at a bit of a slope, since the walkway is higher than the retaining wall. Plus I had to redo it once I got to the top row, since the retaining wall leans a little and I ran out of room. I had to go back to the bottom and that's why there are gaps in the bottom & middle layer of bricks.

I used some old chunks of cement we have left over from the room addition to fill in some of the space, then poured in river rock, and finally pea stones.

Hopefully this will help people when they come to visit! I think it came out pretty neat!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It came out so well I am wondering how we could utilize that along our hill.

keeka said...

Looks great Tean Bean, you are an awesome diy-er!

Anonymous said...

it's so much easier to walk with that thing!