Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Getting ready for Talent Show

Our Girl Scout Talent Show is May 6th. I'm not in charge this year (yay!).
My troop has decided to do a dance to a mix they created of various songs. They are still working on the dance, but yesterday, they decided to make the backdrop for the act. Each girl decorated a sheet, which will be hung behind them on stage.

So each girl wanted a different color. We went to Goodwill & Salvation Army in search of the sheets, but they only had white ones. So we got some RIT dye.

Somehow, the dye never does quite what you want it to do. RIT dye is great for making a faded red shirt back to a vibrant red shirt. Not so good for making a white sheet red. The best you get is a dark pink - I knew that though. Renee wanted a pink sheet. Amanda wanted an orange one. Since I didn't find orange dye, I figured we could dye Amanda's sheet in the red for a bit, then in yellow to make the orange.
Mary wanted a green sheet. I did get green dye, but I was worried it would be a blah green, so I figured if I dyed her sheet in the yellow too, it would be more of a lime-green.

Well, the yellow on pink made more of a bright salmon than true orange. And the plain yellow turned out to be a "golden yellow" which is essentially light orange. So now I had a dark orange and a light orange. Amanda was happy. She's keeping the dark one for her bed, and the light one to decorate. But that still left us short sheeted (hee).

Mary came over early yesterday, so she & I went with Connor to Wal-Mart. Turns out Diana was fine with white sheet, and they sold green sheets! Best of all, the Wal-Mart sheets were only $2.98 each! The Goodwill ones had been $1.99, and I also had to buy dye! Same time & money & just go to Wal-Mart first next time (tho there won't be one, I hope).


The meeting yesterday was pretty much setting the sheets out on the front lawn, weighing them down in the corners with rocks/bricks, and painting their names & designs on with tempra paint. Each girl did their own thing - and I'm sorry Amanda, I didn't get a photo of yours :(

The sheets are all drying in my daylight basement right now. Tempra dries slowly in damp weather, but at least it didn't rain on us!

And yes, Renee is wearing my old sweatshirt from when we went camping at Joshua Tree to see Halley's Comet MANY moons ago!

3 comments:

keeka said...

Oh my goodness you have had that sweatshirt FOREVER! Heehee
Well, that backdrops all look great! Sounds like fun, I wish we could see the show. Maybe someone can put the video or whatever on your blog. Lee gets stuff on there, maybe you can have him get something on a digital camera?
I would love to see even a minute clip!

Tina said...

I'll do my best. I'm being the videographer, but we recently figured out something is wrong with my Sony Digital camcorder. It transfers the images, but not the sound to the computer :/ I will most likely have to transfer everything to a regular videotape, and THEN transfer that to DVD. I think Diana can do that in her video production class.

It just would have been easier to do it all at home :(

I'll do my best!

Anonymous said...

lol....i wanna cry that was my last talent show!!! it was such a good one too!!! Everyone loved it!!! the backdrops were amazing we do need to get a better photo or a video of that.....love nae