Monday, May 21, 2007

Dog Report

Being in 3rd grade, Connor is required to do a report for his class. The staff at school knows he has a dog, so they helped him pick that as his subject.

I got the directions from the teacher, and at school he's been doing research with the help of his assistant. I'm not sure how much he's getting again with the comprehension part.

I took a bunch of photos of him with Liberty, and doing things you do to take care of a dog. He is able to talk about the photos, as well as read the captions that go with them.

For the actual report, I did write it more or less, in the way he talks. He can read the report fine, and if he could, he would have written the report more or less the way I did. It shouldn't be apparent to anyone who doesn't know Connor that he didn't do this himself.

On the other hand, there is no way he could have put this together on his own. I expect to be doing these sorts of things until he kind of has to stop being in a typical classroom. Most likely that will happen with Jr. High. Until then, he will be in the regular ed classroom with assistance when needed (like writing a report).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is very difficult to gauge what Connor knows and understands .vs. what he has no interest in doing.

Yesterday I asked about his school day and got a series of one and two word responses that gave me an inkling, this was quite a good exchange for him.

- Rob said...

Hayley just finished a state report where we had to help her a lot too. It would have been much faster to just DO the work for her. We had to constantly give her suggestions, ask her to change things, help her find information, type for her, etc. As a kid, I don't remember my parents have as much homework as Celeste and I do now!

Tina said...

We turned it in today. His teacher wrote me an email to say how beautiful it was - it made her get teary-eyed!

Not exactly the reaction I was aiming for - now I'm wondering if we overdid it!

?