Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Too many apples


It's a bumper year again. We have been slicing & dehydrating the apples, but they are dropping out of the tree faster than we can do that. I can make apple pie filling & freeze it in ziploc bags in pie pans, and that would take up part of the volume. I can also make canned pie filling - I bought a special kind of starch that will survive the canning process. I can try making applesauce in the crockpot, but I haven't done that before and I'm not sure it would work the way I want it. I think it might come out more like apple butter, which is doable as well, I guess.

Oh, and Connor just picks them up and eats them, after close inspection.

Lee's suggestion was to get an apple press. You just throw the apples in there and press them down into juice. You have to heat the juice to pasteurize it, but then you can drink, freeze or can it - or make jelly with it. He did some research on apple presses. They aren't cheap. I don't think we're going that route.

In the meantime, I have the kids collecting the dropped apples. Some are already turning, and those go in the wheelbarrow to be dumped into the burn pile, along with the half-eaten ones from Connor. The rest I will wash and do something with... as soon as I figure out what I'm doing!

:)

2 comments:

Tina said...

I checked the Washington Apple website and found some recipes for applesauce, chunky applesauce & apple butter. I think I'll try each one, and see which one works best for us :)

Tina said...

Chunky Applesauce ROCKS!!

Everyone at the picnic loved it. I had made 3 batches (about 10 lbs of apples) and it was almost gone. Diana was bummed :)

I guess I'll have to make that again soon!