Sunday, July 09, 2006

Grophe-Eating Night



Okay, that's not the real name. That's what Trevor called it when we first moved up. He kept looking for the stand where they sold the grophes to eat. Some day I'm going to have to come up with something to eat & market it to sell on Graffiti Night.

We usually get 300-400 cars, all from 1960 or earlier. This year's oldest entry was from 1904. That's pretty dang old. They have events leading up to the big cruise on Saturday night, like ice-cream socials & a couple of Show 'n Shines, where you can talk to the owners & learn more about their cars.

Some are done up with cool purple lights underneath them, or headlights with pinwheels that turn as they drive. One looked like a horseless carriage, but my camera ran out of batteries before I saw that one.

This is just another cool thing about living in a smaller town. I can't imagine walking through Long Beach from dusk till after dark, just strolling with my kids through downtown. There are lots of food stands, live bands, and even a beer/wine garden that's roped off along the route. Most of the town comes out for this. The folks in the cars throw candy out to kids.

This year the Budweiser Clydesdale Horses opened the cruise for the first time. Connor & I had to drive on the highway for a small stretch, and they were in the center turn lane, making their way back to their big trailers. Those are some dang big horses.

I had a link to the newspaper's photos, but 1) you had to log in to see them, and 2) the above photos show the scene better than the close-ups from the paper anyway. So I'll get different & better ones next year :)

1 comment:

keeka said...

That does look fun, maybe next time huh?
But I don't wanna eat any Grophe's!
hehe