Tuesday, June 06, 2006

GORP

Good Old Raisins & Peanuts.

We just had our GS Camporee last weekend. It's a tradition in my troop that once we get the tents set up, we gather and make our GORP for the weekend. Each scout brings one healthy snack (peanuts, raisins, cereal, dried fruit, etc.) and one candy item (M&M's, chocolate chips, Skittles, etc.). We put our camp names on a big Ziploc bag, and then proceed to make our GORP.

Everyone only takes the stuff they are going to like & eat. Diana despises banana chips, so she stays far away from those. I'm not real keen on Runts, so I didn't add those to mine.

This year, our mix was bigger than usual. I have 4 girls in my troop, and we meet at the same time & place as another troop so we have 2 leaders present in the room. The other troop was in a separate campsite, but they came over to make GORP with us. Consequently, there was a LOT of variety and a LOT of GORP!


Because we had so many folks there, I let one of my girls be the 'scooper' for everyone. She just eyed the open bags, and made sure everyone who wanted whatever she was scooping got some.

We always have leftovers, and whoever brought those items, gets to take them back. There are never any leftover peanut M&M's.

Last year we learned that Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips really didn't blend well with other GORP. This year we learned that dried fruits take the crunchiness away from pretzels and cereal. Oh well. It still tasted good and did the job it's meant for - mainly to keep anyone bugging me between meals with "I'm hungry!" I always answer, "Eat your GORP."

3 comments:

- Rob said...

This is a cool idea for creating GORP, but I would fear some of the results. Do the girls end up just picking out what they like when it is divvied up? Sounds like that can be a slow process.

Tina said...

They only hold their bag out for stuff they like. So when they pass out raisins, Diana doesn't put her bag out. When they passed out Gobstoppers & Runts, I held my bag back. Some people didn't want the sunflower seeds, others didn't take the dried fruit.

So, you should really only be taking things you like so you will eat it all.

Then you have people like my one scout, who took as many chocolate chips as she could, then spent the rest of the weekend with her bag on her stomach to try to melt the chocolate to everything else in the bag. Most of the time it was under her shirt so she looked pregnant - heh.

I think it took about 30 to 40 minutes with 7 people from one campsite and 5 from another. There were 24 choices (12 healthy, 12 candy).

With less people there's less choice, and it goes faster. That's why one girl did the scooping. Otherwise, we'd just go around the table & everyone takes a bit of what they want until they are done, or everything is gone.

:)

- Rob said...

I get it. I thought that you made one big bag. Your method makes a lot of sense.