Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I did the taxes - what do I get?

The weekend before last I went thru the file cabinet and sorted all the accumulated paperwork into little stacks across my dresser, ironing board & sewing table. Then last weekend we loaded up Turbo Tax & I shut the door off from the rest of the family & other distractions.

Actually, our taxes are pretty easy. We don't mess with the retirement stuff, we just own the house and we work jobs that handle the tax side of things for us. I don't like estimated taxes - been there, and I don't want to be there again unless I earn such a ridiculous amount of money that I don't care if the accountant makes mistakes.

Still, I *did* go sorting thru all the medical statements & Quicken & everything to make sure we could claim the medical deduction. Then I find out since we refinanced & combined a 1st & 2nd mortgage that we didn't have enough interest paid out to warrant itemizing. The standard deduction was better.

Then there was this new thing with getting gift cards with your refund. Since we're intending to add a sink, shower & vanity to our existing "water closet" - there's only a toilet in there now - I went ahead & put $1,000 into a Lowe's gift card, so we get $100 free with that. If I were a flower-sending person, I'd have done the FTD or whatever that was, since you spend $25 and get $50. Good deal.

So, this refund will pay off the Lowe's stuff we still have on 0% apr until September, plus help with the bathroom. I'm good.

I still think I deserve new shoes or something for doing the taxes tho...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree. go get some nice shoes. or Boots!

timmerov said...

brightly colored cowgirl boots that make you pidgeon toed. ;->

keeka said...

Boots, definitely boots!
And not rain boots! Something cool and stylish!