Sunday, September 17, 2006

Wrong size hands


Yesterday, I worked on putting up the insulation in our new to-be bathroom. Trevor helped me first, then later Lee & I worked together.

You know, it's a lot harder to do something if all the tools are the wrong size and/or weight. After 5 tries, I could no longer squeeze the staple gun. Sure, I'm not used to doing that, but dang, it would help if it actually FIT my hand!

Working with the hammer isn't much better. It's weighted correctly for Lee (rightly so, since it's his), but it makes it more work for me. I have a small hammer I use for camping. It's a POS, but it works for me!

I would rather be the gopher with construction. I get too frustrated with doing the actual work. I'll cut the insulation down to size, but forget stapling it. So I just handed Lee the nails, tape measure, caulk gun, yadda yadda.

I'll stick to my sewing machine, knitting, canning stuff, etc. I'll leave construction to the people it's better suited for - people whose hands fit the tools (I know there are large-handed women out there somewhere!) and who have the arm strength to staple things to the ceiling.

No comments: